google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: Bag Lady

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Bag Lady

Music can heal the deepest of wounds if you just take the time to listen. Be it Rock, Country, R&B, Instrumental, Salsa or Pop. I am a lover of all music. While in my office I am blessed to be able to spend my time there with my music playing. No one dictates what genre I can listen to. It's just me in my space.

I use a variety of options to move me through what I may be feeling at that moment. If I think about for example, my journey with my feelings and interactions with my family over the years I log into my Spotify and listen to Frank Sinatra's "My Way". If I am feeling nostalgic about my H.S. years I go on You Tube and play Freestyle music and say hello to Judy Torres and TKA. If I am thinking about how in life we put undo pressure on ourselves that bring us pain and discomfort I visit my girl Erykah Badu's "Bag Lady". My musical ride is a blast for sure.

Today I am going to ride with "Bag Lady". If you aren't familiar, no worries I will include video so you can take a listen. On this song Erykah Badu is speaking to a "Bag Lady" but listen carefully to her word play. With lines like "one day all them bags gon' get in your way" or "pack light" or "you can't hurry up 'cause you got too much stuff". For years I would rock to that song, I loved it so and I enjoy her music in general but it wasn't until a few years ago that I listened to what she was saying.


As we grow older we carry some history. We hope that some parts of that history don't hinder us or stain us in some ways but unfortunately at times it can and it does. We meet people that add to our history that at times don't leave good things behind when they are gone and we walk away carrying that load. We go in and out of a variety of relationships with bags that can totally be dumped. Sometimes our own attitude and views can add to that load.

Healing from any lose or from years of negative chatter is a process. It's part of the road to reaching freedom from those "bags" You can't rush through it, you can't push it aside, you have to sit with it and sort through the bad to get to the good "pack light".

Today, when you approach a situation that may bring you discomfort, try changing the way you handle it. Sometimes our old ways get in the way. Tweak your approach, "pack light". Lighten your load so you can move about with more ease and a bigger smile.

What do you think? Have you ever experienced being the "Bag Lady"?

Always stress free xo.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice.

    I have two-tracker trailers of bags that I carry. I always try to throw one out here and there to lighten my load.

    Great song and great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Patrick lol 2 tracker trailers? Yes time to start letting that weight go for sure!!! Always a pleasure having you over for a visit.

      Delete
  2. I always loved this song. It is so deep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it Tameka! Glad you stopped by :) chat soon

      Delete
  3. Fantastic song choice and fantastic post! It's a great reminder to let go of the things that are no longer serving us.

    Thank you for sharing with us at #MommyMeetupMondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandyn, thanks for stopping by glad you liked:)

      Delete
  4. Great song from a great artist! I think a lot of people can benefit from its message. Thanks for linking up at the Manic Mondays blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AtoZ thanks for stopping by, I always find music inspiring for sure. Loving MM!!!

      Delete
  5. Hello gorgeous! Thank you for bringing such great things to our party. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm.. Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.