google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: Let's talk Mesothelioma Awareness

Friday, February 26, 2016

Let's talk Mesothelioma Awareness

Hey lovelies I have a lot to talk about. Several thoughts running through my mind not to mention some resent changes going on I'd like to share and start a conversation about but first I wanted to share this with you guys. 

Have you ever heard of the Mesothelioma & Asbestos Awareness Center? They are an organization that provides information regarding mesothelioma that aims to help newly diagnosed patients. Most of us may not even know that there are hundreds of types of Cancers. We also may not know that February is National Cancer Prevention Month but that every month there is a type of Cancer being focused on in addition. 

I believe the more we know the better we can prepare and even avoid. 

Being the mom of a child that attended New York City Public schools for many years and I also being a product of the same system I recall many Parent Teacher meetings and looking around at the cracked ceilings and chipped paint on the walls. Looking around at the corners and wondering what that white dust was coming from the ceiling. Wondering if the insulation that was sticking out on the side of the light fixtures was safe.
I never paid attention to something called Asbestos. Dictionary's meaning is a heat-resistant fibrous silicate mineral that can be woven into fabrics, and is used in fire-resistant and insulating materials such as brake linings.


Basically its the material they used for insulation in buildings going back to the 60's. So of course we all know someone who has had some sort of interaction with these types of structures. Contact with this material causes damage to our lungs and we may not even be aware of it till some time has passed. I am not saying that NYC Public schools may or may not have it, I am just saying that as I became aware of what it was it did concern me because one never knows. This is not the only place it can exist many old buildings may still have traces of this material. New practices have since omitted the use of Asbestos but we still hear stories here and there in relation to this material. 

Asbestos is currently the only known cause of the rare cancer mesothelioma, which is what Mesothelioma & Asbestos Awareness center aims to spread awareness about. Sadly, this is a preventable disease and if we take precautions in arming ourselves with as much information as possible, we can avoid this disease.



Be informed let's protect ourselves and our loved ones. Sharing is caring 
Always stress free xo
Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.