google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: Ah yes, it's finally Bedtime...revisited

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Ah yes, it's finally Bedtime...revisited

I am touching on bedtime again because no one can or should mess with my sleep just joking (but not really).

We always hear about studies showing the importance of a good nights rest and sleep.
How we prepare for that is and can be a challenge for parents, especially of little ones.
As bedtime approaches for some it can become a time of torture or a time for relaxation.

I pretty much stick to a routine and now that my daughter is older she has her own routine. One thing that hasn't changed is our saying goodnight to one another and investing a few minutes tucking one another in depending on who is the last to shut the lights off.
Tucking in can vary with age but it can be a great closing day moment for all.

illustration provided by themeasuredmom.com

Let's revisit my old post:

You had a long day at work or you have spent your day home with the kid’s one task after another and when 7:30 rolls around all you want to do is say goodnight and have some alone time. But your little one has a different idea. He or she wants you to sit with them. Wants you to sing one more song or read just one more story please please please mommy you hear.

This is how I navigated that ship.

I started by setting a specific bedtime. No excuses no fuss. My daughter and I would begin to get her bed ready about 20 minutes to half hour before bed. Get book or song together for the night. This would also be the winding down time no more TV, no more food, drinks etc... Once this was all set, I would tuck her in, settle myself for a song or a story, lay next to her and proceed with our quality bedtime wrap up. Once I was done, we would say good night and share few hugs and kisses, I would dim the lights and put the radio on to a lite station with calming music and that would be that.

This routine has lasted well over fifteen years. Give or take few tweaks and amendments with age of course.
Now on the nights it didn't go as smoothly due to a cold or bad dream or potty break I would go back in reinforce with a few more kisses and leave quickly again. You cannot engage in long chatter or indulge in their whimpering because if you do, the night will never wrap up.

What is your bedtime routine? Any other tricks to share? How do you put a close to your day?

Always stress free xo.

7 comments:

  1. Ours is almost exactly the same - read a book, Lord's prayer, lots and lots of hugs and kisses. I think our littlest uses the "lovings" as a stall tactic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki they totally do!!! Lol thanks for visit and share. We must admit sometimes though the stall tactic is cute :)!

      Delete
  2. My little one is not quite 2 so ours is an extended routine - we start about an hour and a half before bed. I give her a bath, get her in pj's, she has her milk, we read books, we go upstairs and cuddle in her room, sing a few songs, and then it's lights out and bedtime. It works pretty well most of the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca thanks for comments and visit. Your routine sounds like fun and very loving I'm sure you guys have a great time :)

      Delete
  3. I need to get back to our bedtime routine. We used to have a get ready time, story, prayers, etc. but since we've introduced activities that have practices and rehearsals my whole time has been knocked out of whack. Great post and post revisit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey doll great seeing you here, thanks for visit and comment. Yeah it does become a bit of a challenge once more activities are introduced but just see if at least a few minutes of the old routines can still lurk around.
      Even though my little one is grown and many things have changed I still look forward to sitting on her bed hugging and kissing her goodnight ❤️. Hope to see you here again soon :) btw love your hair in pic with your son looked awesome :)!

      Delete
  4. Hello cute lady! Love this. Pinned. We couldn't think of anyone better to party with. We hope to see you tonight at 7 pm. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.