google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: Can you keep a Secret?

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Can you keep a Secret?

This post idea came from conversations and shares with my daughter, Erica whom I love and respect immensely and value her opinion and thoughts..

Has anyone ever approached you with those words and right away your mind starts to go all sorts of places?
Do you think it is easier to keep a secret when you’re younger or older?
Do you believe in different degrees of secrecy?

My daughter and I were engaged in one of our many nights of lengthy conversation when the subject of secrets came up.
We exchanged our views and bought up some topics and discussed in depth the difference in view among children and their parents and friends and family.

She shared with me that over her eighteen years she has held on to a few secrets her friends have shared over the years, some going back as far as sixth grade. Can you imagine that, sixth grade?
She informed me that she believes unless someone is being harmed or they are harming themselves no one should break the trust given to you of a secret.

To her that includes if a friend cheated on her boyfriend, smoked a cigarette, cut class, engaged in sexual activity, cheated on a test or lied to a parent.
She shared that the level of secrets kids keep from their parents are and can be endless but that for the most part are things that with time solve themselves.

I came away with the thought that we as parents must do the best job possible so that our children know right from wrong as early as possible and that we always maintain the lines of communication open so when these times of "secret revelations" come up in their lives they know how to deal with the information properly. They are able to judge accordingly and be a true good friend.

I am proud of my daughter I know she is a very loving and giving human being. I also know she is smart and responsible, so because I know these things I am not bothered at all that she has secrets. I respect that she shared her thoughts with me.
I think it is healthy and normal and I appreciate that I can keep the ones I have of my own :)

So with that being said. Do you feel your children should share other people's secrets with you? Do you think children have no right to keep a secret from their parent? Do you feel secrets are a bad thing?




6 comments:

  1. Everyone has secrets with that being said I couldn't agree with you more. Keeping an open line of communication so your children know you are always there for them is important. Forcing them to tell you everything is only going to make them have more secrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for comments Fashionista!! Yes forcing any issue never gets great results. Appreciate visit hope to see you again ;)

      Delete
  2. I don't like secrets, its makes me uneasy. I'm not a blabber mouth or a gossip person either. Your business is yours and you won't find me expressing it to another. You talk to me in confidence and its where it stays but please don't tell me to keep a secret I am sure to break out in hives lmao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Camii!! I for some reason can so see you breaking out in hives lol. As always much love :)

      Delete
  3. Love your blog! I joined via email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Griselle! Thank you so much sweetie, Hope to chat again with you soon. Appreciate the support :)

      Delete

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.