google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: Let's take care of those Baby Teeth

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Let's take care of those Baby Teeth

Ever walk down an isle in a store and see a three or four year old with a pacifier or as some people call them “a binky” in his or her mouth? Have you ever seen that mom that puts it in her mouth then passes it to her child, as if it were clean?

I recall the night of my daughter’s 1st Birthday. We got rid of the pacifier and baby bottle all in one shot. Was it easy? No. Was transition smooth? No. Did she cry and need comfort? Yes. Was it doable? Yes.
As soon as your child is able to grasp objects firmly, he or she is able to move away from comfort zone.

Here is how.
Start with introduction to a Sippy cup as you reduce the bottle use.
Use a Sippy cup for certain liquids first only if you feel comfortable that way.
Reduce the time your child uses the pacifier during the day.
Switch out pacifier for let’s say a blanket or stuffed toy.

Comfort zones are nice. They help us feel secure and safe. Comfort shouldn't come at the expense of long term issues such as possible tooth decay.

The night my daughter “lost” her pacifier and the bottle was “to heavy” for her to hold (these were the words I used to explain to her the changes), she was introduced to a new stuffed bunny named Chrissy. Happy to say Chrissy still lives with us 18 years later.

What are some of the other switches we can make to keep a balance in comfort zone?

Chrissy with her friend Tiki



8 comments:

  1. I definitely don't miss these times, but it burns me up when I see older kids like 4 or 5 with their fingers in their mouths - yuck yuck yuck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antionette, thanks for comment. Yes always an unsightly thing to see these kids running around with their dirty fingers in their mouths, Yuck is right!

      Delete
  2. oh gosh lol bring back those memories. Girl my little one wore a pacifier string around her neck till she was a little over one. OMG we all had a backup pacifier, that was her lifeline. She would pop that thing in like the little girl on the Simpsons, till the remained a tan marked of the shape of the paci on her mouth. lol we thought she was marked for life. Lawd when we took that away, that child screamed for days. What memories that brought back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camii, welcome back, thanks for comment. It is always an adjustment for both the child and parent when such things as these are removed but I feel it is the parent who is more afraid of change than the child. Thanks for visit sweetie.

      Delete
  3. I think the question every parent needs to ask is whether the pacifier is a crutch for the child or the parent. I breastfed (and am currently with my youngest) and all 3 of my children refused bottles and only my first would take the pacifier. At 6 months, the pacifiers were turfed and I introduced sippy cups with water at meal times. But I hate sippy cups, they are a pain to wash so once my babies get confident with the sippy I take the lids off and give them a sip at a time. By a year none of my kids had sippys. This wasn`t deliberate, it just worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg thanks for visit and comment. Good point about the crutch. As for sippy cups your not alone in your views, they too can be a pain and yes the cleaning can be an issue...guess they haven't come up with a happy medium lol.

      Delete
  4. I always find it interesting to read other mom's perspectives on parenting. None of my kids were into pacifiers although two out of three were thumb suckers and I think they did it to calm themselves because they are such intensely emotional kids. My middle child was easy going and didn't want any of it. We started them with sippy cups as soon as we could, probably around 1 years old and moved to cups just as fast except my third child. She is a wild child and spills everything in her path. I have found what works for one doesn't always work for another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, thanks for visit and comments. Yes different perspectives can indeed be interesting and fun, especially in the mommy blog world! Never boring on this side of my table lol. You are right about different kids need different approach, that is why a Mother's responsibility never gets boring.

      Delete

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.