google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: Kids and Meditation

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Kids and Meditation

More and more lately I have witnessed and felt for myself all the benefits I am reaping from my Meditation practice. Several years in I am still learning, still adjusting, still testing a variety of forms and techniques. Because it is a "practice" you are always learning and one size does not fit all.

With everything in life there are pros and cons but I have found that the pros I witness daily out weigh the cons. Just taking the time to slow myself down and take a few extra breaths when I am dealing with an uneasy matter has helped me diffuse numerous situations over the past few years.

This got me thinking about my own daughter and kids in general. Wouldn't it be great to have them practice some of these principles as well? Turns out that in certain places they are! I started my own little research and found some great stuff. I have never been a fan of "Time Out" I think it only stops the action for the moment it doesn't teach a lesson or bring forth a permanent solution. Not to mention I have to stop what I am doing to monitor you and make sure you are sitting still...No thanks.

illustration by lionsroar.com

So why not try starting today investing a few minutes in silence with our kids? Maybe before bedtime, before dinner? How about when they are in playtime and a tantrum ensues? Why not practice deep breathing while on a walk, in the park or on a car ride?

illustration by pinterest.com

I find my own lil mama in breathing practices often. While she's doing homework on her computer or just before she makes a phone call. While she is working on a painting in her room or just as she is about to answer one of my many silly questions (thanks sunshine :) xo), it is something that I have seen first hand bring a great positive change to her life.

illustration by makesnaturalsense.com

Just start with taking a deep breath. A real deep breath. I know it sounds strange but many of us don't even appreciate taking a deep breath. This will open your mind to perhaps trying other practices. I have included a few links that may help you and your little ones and not so little ones as well. What do you, would this be something you could give a try? Do you already practice some form of Meditation? Do you feel kids just are too young to try it out?

mindful.org

chopra.com

huffingtonpost

mindbodygreen.com

Always stress free xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.