google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: Who is really paying attention?

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Who is really paying attention?

I will try to keep my uneasiness in check.

A few weeks ago while having breakfast my daughter and I heard a news report about the changes to the SAT's coming 2016.

I will say that my daughter is very vocal about the United States as it is but when I tell you she jumped off her seat and was yelling at the television, I am still not doing her reaction justice. Nor am I when I say that I was in sheer disbelief about what I was hearing as well.

My first thought was..."so we are dumbing down the test, instead of  restructuring our educational system so that the kids are learning more and perhaps better and are much better equipped to take these test".
Then my daughter chimed in and commented on the changes to essay and vocabulary. Stating that as is kids are not using their writing and vocabulary skills to full potential.

As a parent of a child that has been fortunate enough to have be exposed to some amazing teachers throughout her school years and to have had the opportunity to attend regular public school, charter school, magnet school and specialized High School at different points in her academic life I have to say that our education system as a whole SUCKS.

I have experienced a variety of teaching styles, school environments and system expectations as a whole and I will say that if you are not a parent that speaks up on your child's behalf, if you are not on top of your child's education and if you do not instill in your child the love and respect for learning and when to speak up when they feel they are being short changed, then your child will surely fall through the cracks and be on the road to failure.

Gone are the days of teacher knows best, if you are lucky that teacher is there because they want to make a differance in children's lives and have a part in building a better, stronger future not because they belong to a Union and get summers off.

This is not to say that there are not some wonderful teachers because there are but we also have to accept that our system has some pretty rotten ones as well. Also that our system does not help those wonderful teachers do their jobs and have support when needed.

Our educational system ranks indicate that, our graduation rates indicate that, our Science, Math and English rankings indicate that.

So if we adjust current testing style or styles because SAT's are not our only testing system, what else would be or should be adjusted?
Is it that we do not expect or should not expect our children to be fully capable to compete with other countries?

I live in New York City where some have issues with Charter school system when they clearly see amazing results simply because it is not part of the New York City Board of Education. I say if something is working let's have more of it and if what we already have isn't then let's break it down and rebuild again.

Our children really are our future, they are an investment in our future care system, security system, educational system so why not prepare them well so that we can be in good hands?
How can we be or truly become an amazing United States of America if some of our kids can't even read a book and summarize the content properly?

I am including some links for added info, tell me what you think. Always about starting a conversation, passionate about stress free living.

rankingamerica.wordpress.com
cnycentral.com
greatschools.org

cnn.com
collegeboard.org
usnews.com
nytimes.com


14 comments:

  1. As an educator myself (for the last 17 years) and having two kids that are almost out of high school I can say that our education system is rotten.

    I think that many teachers in the beginning really want to make a difference but a lot of them are straight out of college and this is the first real job they have had and then get discouraged as the filing the minds of knowledge is about third on a teachers list of to do. I have seen a lot of really good ones leave after a couple of years because of the politics and the non-teaching aspects of the job.

    The ones that have stayed on and do a good job are the ones who lived a little (had different full-time jobs) before they became teachers (I was in the Navy for four years and had drove a bagel delivery truck and built office cubicles finishing my education). Just something I have seen over 17 years.

    As a parent (and teacher) of kids, I have seen how with "No Child Left Behind" and this new Common Core how we have really dumbed down the education of our kids. Everything is by memorization and there is no creative thinking involved. I always say that kids learn about 20% of their knowledge in school and that teachers are responsible for guiding and creating the road map the students to explore, create, think and find the other 80% of their education. It is like reading a book. You can read the book but it is up to you to follow the footnotes for more information. With all these guidelines over that last 14 years, we can't encourage kids to follow the "roadmaps" as we have to stick to what is on the test. Of course, you have rebels like me that if a kid asks a question, I will go on sidetrip and answer it and I get some trouble.

    Over the last 13 years, Can you guess the number of phone calls I have received from my kids' teachers telling me "You can't teach that to your kids as isn't on my script," They don't like it when I have created "a roadmap" for my kids.

    Sorry to ramble so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick, thank you so much for visit and comment. No need to apologize this is exactly why I write, to start a conversation and add variety to a boring pot lol. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Although not as dramatic, my reaction was similar as I heard about this while driving home one evening a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for comment, I didn't see this till now sheesh.

      Delete
  3. As an upcoming 2014 high school graduate, I can definitely agree with your opinion about the education system. It's certainly not the same anymore and it seems as if it gets worst with each generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristal I wish you luck on your next journey for sure sorry for delay in response I didn't see these comments :)

      Delete
  4. Wow!!! I hadn't heard about the changes. However, I do agree that our eduation system sucks. I homeschool my son and would be very afriad to send him to school, becuase I know he would not be educated the way I would like for him to be.
    Happy SITS Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonya, thanks for visit. It's a system that needs major repairs for certain. As parents we just want the best options for our kids and the more informed we are the better.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for these links. I need to do some reading and learn more about the changes on the SAT. Parents do need to always be advocates for our kids, and their education. By the way - Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks for visit hope to see you here again soon and hope the links are useful:)

      Delete
  6. Wow things sure have changed since I was in school. Everything is so different now, and more and more people seem to be unhappy with the whole process in general, and I agree they should be! I guess I'll see first hand what this is like when I start having kids. Yikes! Good luck with everything! :) Here visiting from SITS! So happy to have met so many awesome bloggers through that community :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monique, thanks for visit and comments. Yes SITS is awesome for sure:)

      Delete
  7. I have so much to say about this topic. I am a teacher but I am questioning whether to go back to the classroom because of the long working hours and poor pay. I live in AZ and we are in second to last place (48th, I believe) when in comes to education. I truly loved teaching, but with two kids, it doesn't make financial sense to put them in day care while I work 10 hours a day and bring home little in terms of take home pay.

    Education needs to changed in our country. But what is going to facilitate that change, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joann, thanks for visit. Great to have a teacher's view always. I agree with you I have no idea what it is going to take for our education system to get the serious attention it requires. Hope to see you here again soon :)

      Delete

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.