google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: Giving Up

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Giving Up

These thoughts come just at the right time! Christmas is just a few days away and everyone has lost their minds or so it appears if you are driving or in a store.
Today I almost got sideswiped twice by crazy drivers not looking at where they were going. I saw people with more bags than they could carry and I saw lines out the doors.

Thank heavens I am not in that mindset and thank heavens that I also made it home in one piece!
I handled my grandmother duties, I invested my time making her laugh and happy and I sat to write my thoughts...

Less is more, More is less.
Quality beats Quantity
Minimum effort Maximum results

On my minimalist journey these past several months I've had to reprogram my brain and in doing so I have found such clarity. I notice things and pay closer attention to how advertising works, store placement, magazines, commercials etc...there goal is to make you think you need. Make you feel like you are missing out on something if you don't have this or that.

They play on our weakness for excess. Wanting to be like so and so, competing to have the latest and greatest.

But at what expense?

Our safety net, our bills paid on time, our home repairs, our kids educations, our self esteem, our sanity, our we are good enough mindset?

illustration by blog.drmalpani.com

When I started this challange I took stock of what I had in my closet. Blouses, shirts, sweaters, slacks, jeans, leggings the works.
I realized I had a need for nothing but a want for a few things.
I have enough clothes and accessories to last me well over two months without repeating too much of one item and I decided that would be enough.

No commercial, no magazine, no sale, no extra week in the month was or is going to deter me from my goals from my plans.
I keep telling myself "look at bigger picture" and that is what I am continuing to do.


If you ask me what is One thing I could give up and not care I will answer that as of now it's jeans. What I have is more than enough.
I can mix and match, cuff uncuff, dress up or down.
If you ask me what is One thing I cannot give up I will say at this point is my search for a great mustard yellow or tangerine orange Winter wool coat!
Hey I'm being honest. Wish me luck in finding it while in all other aspects I continue to stick to my guns.

Do you fall trap to the commercials? The magazines?
What have you purchased because you "thought" you had to have it but really didn't "need" it?

Always stress free xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.