google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: Teach your son to be a Gentleman, please.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Teach your son to be a Gentleman, please.

I am including a link to a Yahoo question I ran into a while back on my late night Google searches that allow me to stay current and help me with ideas.

So I read this article and said to myself, “Man are you serious?” I am always still amazed at how our society somehow works yet lacks certain key factors.
For instance, should teaching your son to be a Gentleman or your daughter to be a Lady not a given?

Are we not aware that our children will be grownups someday? Do we not want our children to be great partners to their significant others and great people in general?
Should we not teach our sons to open a door for a lady or hold it open till she goes through? Is that sexiest or courtesy? Would it be wrong to teach our sons to pull the chair so their date can sit? How about to open a car door? Should we not teach our sons to pay for a date and that dutch is really not the way to go on all occasions? Why would we not be teaching our sons to treat all women with the grandest respect, Always? To speak to them kindly and expect the same in return? Are we not as mothers their first role models?
In the same line of questions should we not be teaching our daughters how to accept and expect the above treatment?

Whether we label it being a Gentleman or a Lady, I label it manners and courtesy. If being a Gentleman or a Lady is out of style today, not required or expected then the society that our youngsters are building is really full of flaws.

What do you have to say? Antiquated labels? Expecting too much or too little? Teach this at home or let them figure it out on their own?

I am really glad I ran into this article, added fuel to my manners fire and I really am interested in knowing what others think.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130901130844AA5tlLN



12 comments:

  1. I love this post & I couldn't agree more. Manners & common courtesy have definitely taken a back seat to rudeness & bad manners. I read an article that a friend of mine posted on Facebook a while back, that actually reprimanded mothers for telling their children to get up and kiss their grandparents when they came over. I was shocked. Apparently respect has gone out the window as well. Ah Crap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visit and comments. Apparently so, I remember always teaching my daughter to at least extend her hand in hello if she did not feel comfortable with a kiss or hug. Some form of respect is always the best way to go. Hope to see you again:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. They can call it whatever they want, I still think society will be on a downhill if good manners are lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VHW Your welcome! Thanks for visit and comment hope to see you here again soon :)

      Delete
  4. Love this post!!!!
    Times and parents are definitely not like they used to be. Things are so much different from just when I was little, its crazy. I make sure that I instill the morals and values I was raised with into my daughters. I try to lead by example as much as I can, because children learn from what they see and experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne, true times have changed, guess it is up to us to continue to uphold certain standards. Thanks for visit and comments, hope we talk again soon :)

      Delete
  5. Yes, please do! I am raising my son to be a gentleman. He's 6 and I have been working at it ever since he could understand. Additionally, we live in the South and that is a way of life here anyway. I have taught him to let the the neighbor girls get on the bus before him, treat all females with respect, and above all else to respect me as his mother. A little boy who doesn't respect women will grow into a man who doesn't respect women. Thanks for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly thanks for visit and comment :) love that your 6 year old is being pointed in right direction by you. Yes if we don't get on track with our boys early then we are in for poor results later on.

      Delete
  6. I agree. Being a Gentleman or a Lady should never be something that falls out of line with our goals for our children. It is always necessary. If not what do we expect from this next generation. Respect, Courtesy and Kindness are qualities we should want our children to have always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee! Thanks for visit and comments :) well put. See you at TIUT!

      Delete
  7. Nicely done! I agree boys should be taught manners and courteous behavior. It will carry them through many situations. Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.