google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: What really Matters in Your Life?

Sunday, January 3, 2016

What really Matters in Your Life?

Have the things that matter to you grown and changed as you have grown and changed? Are you taking stock in your progress as you grow older? Do you find yourself stuck and don't know where to begin?

illustration by mindset daily.com

The truth of the matter is that it isn't until something drastic happens to us that we realize we have been dealing with some BS we are not interested in dealing with but have been because we are programmed to think we just have to. How we grow up, the values our parents and other family members teach us and even our friends help mold the crap we sometimes carry around.

December was a month full of several ending events. As I shared not to long ago we had some deaths to deal with that we are learning from and working through. I am grateful for all the talks that have taken place between my daughter and I. Support is always great but clarity is even better. Communication coming from love never fails.

I shared that an old friend contacted me about her mother's passing. This Summer will mark four years since we have spoken. The time is very clear to me because our end is very clear to me. As I prepared to go to the wake I had so many emotions to put in order, so many thoughts to gather and put in there place. As I parked my car and walked to the funeral home I found myself clinching my fists just a little tighter for support.

illustration by believeinthesparks.com

As I made my way through the crowd and said my hellos, gave hugs and kisses one thing was very clear to me I had walked into the same life I had left long ago but just with a different background.
The faces had aged but everything else was the same. The conversations where the same just with more added drama and bitterness. It was as if their feet hadn't moved in any forward direction. I was sad, I felt trapped and couldn't wait to leave.

To the people that mattered I made sure I said how sorry I was that we were meeting again under such circumstances to the rest I felt no need for explanation. I was grateful that my history with them was remembered. That the years I invested in them left a positive mark therefore we still had love for one another and now that we are older, even more respect.
Just before I left I held my old friends hand and told her I loved her, was sorry again about her mom, wished her all the best and assured her that we were good. That life had played out as it should have for us. That we are where we need to be, growing is part of life and that's what we will continue to do. I emphasized they knew where to reach me gave her another big hug and left.

As I drove away I was grateful. I don't mean for this to come across as mean or selfish but I was grateful I had left them behind. I was grateful I chose self preservation over loyalty to a friendship that for many years had stopped serving a purpose. I was grateful that I had chosen peace of mind over contemplating what others would think and say. I was grateful I had learned to value life and my life most of all to know when it was time to walk away.

illustration by mastering today.me

I asked in the beginning have the things that matter to you grown and changed as you have grown and changed? But I guess that may not be a fair question if you have remained as you are in your life. I also said that it wasn't until something drastic happened that we stop and review our paths. Tomorrow may never come for some and do you think if they knew that they wouldn't have changed something in their life?

Someone at the wake as I was saying my goodbyes asked me if I was on Face Book. Really? We haven't spoken in close to four years and that is how you want us to communicate? To stay relevant in each others lives? Not instead with a call or even an email or text? You want me to scroll through crap on your timeline just to see pictures of your life? To press like just so your numbers go up instead of us actually having a meaningful discussion? No thanks I'll pass. I'm not interested in logging on to a social media sight to see what's going on with you. That would require I take time away from more important matters to sit and look at a screen nah I'm good.

I am not anti social media truly I'm not but what I am anti is anything that takes away from the present and from truly engaging with those I love. I'd rather look at my daughter's face and see her smile than look at a screen and see what others are doing. Sure I get the reasoning behind connecting with loved ones who live far away but honestly...how often are you scrolling through things that are not loved ones related? Things that really Matter.

illustration by yourbizrules.com

Death is always a thing that fuels change. But it is only when you truly value life that those changes matter. Why wait for an end to start your new beginning? Self preservation, value, respect, kindness and love...What really Matters in Your Life?

Always stress free xo
Mari

10 comments:

  1. This is a deep post that asks a lot of important questions. This one has many echoes: "Why wait for an end to start your new beginning?" What a wonderful prompt for reflection at a time of positive change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle Happy New Year and thank you for stopping by and commenting. Questions we should take some time and sit with for sure :) Hope we can chat again soon.

      Delete
  2. Very moving post. I agree, it is important to take stock of things and let go of people, places, things, and activities that aren't serving you. We do hold on to so much, and most of the time it just adds to the stress! Death is always a source of learning and growth, no matter how painful it may be.

    Thank you for sharing with us at #MommyMeetupMondays! I always enjoy your perspective on things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandyn thanks for always showing your support and commenting xo. Yes unfortunately death is always an event that brings about evaluations.

      Delete
  3. Very deep and moving post - it made me question a few things in my life, thank you fro sharing with Pin worthy Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber thank you for your comments and support. Happy New Year :)

      Delete
  4. So inspirational! Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry, appreciate you stopping by supporting and commenting :)

      Delete
  5. What an awesome reflection and so honest, thank you for that. I have a hard time letting things and people go, but you're right, it's important to live in the present. Thank you for sharing this at #mommymeetupmondays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules if they aren't in your present than they belong in the past and its time to let go. Memories are great but daily living is better. Thanks for stopping by and comments chat soon I hope :)

      Delete

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.