google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: I am still Growing Up

Sunday, February 7, 2016

I am still Growing Up

Maturity is widening the gap between impulse and action

What a statement, hello my lovelies what do you think about that?
Does it ring any truth for you?
It does for me. As I recap 2015 and all the ups and downs I experienced I am focusing on my attitude and behavior and how I handled myself. Did I fly off the handle as I quickly did in my teens and twenties? Did I sulk or suck my teeth, did I take a breath and slow myself down?

In all honesty I must say I am proud of the strides I've made but I did have a few fails.

Like when my daughter fell short on an expectation I had of her and the conversation wasn't very calm. I found myself raising my voice and repeating myself instead of finding a solution I totally shut her off and nothing was gained. Shortly after I was very disappointed in myself for projecting my expectations on her and ended up having to refocus and regroup.
That's what we do sometimes as parents and that's why we have moments of failure. Our expectations are just that ours, and when we project them on our children and even on others most times things don't turn out so great. Those are moments when as we mature we learn to bow our heads and apologize for behaving like a clown.

illustration by rawforbeauty.com

Then there was the time when my friend offered to help install my Air Conditioner window brackets and I totally flipped out because certain things around the window were moved and I being the crazy control nut with self diagnosed OCD lost my temper instead of explaining myself better. I raised my voice about moving the curtains and pushing some of the furniture around instead of just taking a deep breath and explaining myself better. I should have let my friend know I just like things in order and if you move my stuff around I need a heads up. The flip side of that was and is that my friend should have had more patience with me and listened better. It wasn't a challenge to his help it was just  an opportunity to respect how others handle stuff. We both failed that day but learned the lesson of compassion. When someone close to you is going through something, don't rush them. Be supportive and slow down.

And how can I not mention all the tests baby #2, my grandma has put me through. I tell you I still have hair because I just don't want to pull mines out though at times I wish I could pull someone else. From her threats on hitting me with her cane to her acting up in the doctor's office to her outright refusal to cooperate on numerous occasions she truly has tested me the most but with many fails came many passes. I've learned to reign my need for control in when it comes to her special needs and just go with the flow. Ride the wave as I say. I have learned but still have a ways to go on how to adjust my role from one moment to the next when it comes to her. I am learning daily how to let her dictate what my day with her will be like. This truly is my biggest challenge, Alzheimers is no joke geez....

So I repeat again...Maturity is widening the gap between impulse and action

illustration by rebelgrain.com

If we get to a place where we use impulse less and actions more than we are growing steady. We are getting closer to the person we want to become. Maturity is a destination, a place we hope to reach at some point. It is not an easy journey but one I hope most agree is a worth while trip.

What about you, have you had any failures recently that got you closer to Maturity? What are your thoughts on Growing Up?

Always stress free xo
Mari

6 comments:

  1. I'm definitely a work in progess I've still got a ways to go so quick to get upset first. However, there's hope for me yet today's another day to get it right, thanks Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John for sharing your comments always nice of you to stop by. Appreciate it

      Delete
  2. That John Lennon quote is one of my very, very favorites. Happiness truly is the key to life! So far as recent failures that have brought me closer to maturity...I think the biggest thing lately has been pushing myself too hard. It's funny, we are always told that it is important to work hard, but we often forget to take care of ourselves in the process. Trying to do it all and have it all without taking the time to re-center and relax does nothing but rob you of joy and energy...and can take you away from your loved ones if you're not dedicated to remaining present and making time for them. Of course, I had to learn this the hard way!

    As always, I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. It definitely gives us a lot to think about!

    Thank you for sharing with us at #MommyMeetupMondays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandyn always grateful for your support

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear what you're saying about placing our expectations on others. On my (long) path to maturity, I struggle to understand that no one is perfect, including my kids, my husband, and myself. It's hard, though! Thanks for sharing these beautiful thoughts at the Manic Mondays blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I appreciate you having me over and glad you enjoyed the read. Growing up is like a roller coaster ride for me. I find I have moments I enjoy the downs but the ups are smoother but hey it all makes us stronger I say :) chat again soon I hope.

      Delete

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.