google-site-verification: google25a08fc65649193e.html Living in Mommywood: Fathers and Daughters

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Fathers and Daughters

I am my father's only daughter. I have three brothers. My father tried to teach his very stubborn daughter to take things easy and to be nice and respectful and to listen.

My father tried to teach his very stubborn daughter patience. My father tried to teach his very stubborn daughter that her mom was just trying to do her best.

Looking back now it must have been a very difficult thing to do when you are dealing with a teenager that thinks they know it all. It could not have been easy for him to try to get through to me but he never stopped.

I have my father's complexion, his smile, his hair and when I stop and look at times even his mannerisms.
It is so funny how true the comments about Mothers and Sons and Fathers and Daughters can be.

Today I appreciate his words and his time and his smile. Today I appreciate all those great meals he cooked for me and all those great breakfast drinks he use to make from fresh fruits. Today I appreciate all those great talks, while I sat around and visited with him at his job.

In my home there is a phrase and its called "being a Fermin". It is my ex's family name. It is used whenever a gesture, action, comment or approach is taken. It has been said for the past almost nineteen (19) years. My daughter is her father's child in every sense of the word.
From the tips of her toes to the top of her head. From her words, to her interest, to her approach on life.

The reality of it is I wouldn't have it any other way because "being a Fermin" is pretty darn great!!

For all of us who have had great father moments and have great father memories, this is a sweet post.
For those of us who have not it can be sad or upsetting. I don't want it to be just one or the other. I want it to be a chance to perhaps build these moments with that special man whom you have always admired, whom you have fallen in love with and envision having children with if this is your second time around or have your significant other already be building these moments or bring it to his attention.
Remember, family is what you make it. It is not always about blood relation.

Sometimes not enough praise is expressed when it comes to fathers. I know quite a few who are doing amazing jobs with their girls and their boys. Whether single, separated, married, or divorced I appreciate the awesome things they do every day.

So here is a Thank You to you! Hope you enjoy xoxo

http://www.fromdatestodiapers.com/50-rules-for-dads-of-daughters

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I didn't have that type of relationship with my dad (I'm not sad about it at all), but it sure would have been nice to. I agree, we don't give great fathers enough praise. Kudos to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice tribute to your dad, unfortunately I wasn't raised with a father in the household, but my grandmother did a heck of a job filling both roles of mother and father. I hope your are enjoying this Thankful Thursday and will accept this nomination of a Liebster Award - http://dedivahdeals.com/2014/02/13/liebster-award-nomination/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antionette, I can't thank you enough for all the support you have shown me ! Thank you for your kindness :) xo

      Delete
  3. PC&S thanks for comment and visit, memories are nice and yes more praise is need. Hope to see you here again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I look forward to my weekly visits and thank you for all the support you always show me!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Mari! It's Courtney from The Girl with Long Hair blog. Reading this post was bitter sweet to me: I am an only child who experienced a pretty idyllic childhood, growing up with both parents, but I've been estranged from my dad for several years (long story). On the bright side, I now get to see the beauty of a wonderful father-daughter relationship from a mother's perspective: Scott is awesome with Kennedy (and Scotty) and I feel so blessed. This was a beautiful post, and the emotion you poured into it is palpable. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Courtney, thank you for visit and comments. I am so glad to hear your family has the unity you desire. I can relate to your comment on your dad because though in this piece I have great memories to look back on, I too haven't spoken to my dad in a minute. The positive thing we can take from this new place we find ourselves in is that we have a template to work with for the lives we want for our own girls (and boys) . Thanks again for visit hope to see you here again soon :)

      Delete
  5. Such a great post Mari! My grandfather was my dad in every sense of the word - he inspired me, encouraged me, and carved the woman that sits here today. It's amazing how fathers can have such an impact on a little girl's life. The same goes for mommas and their boys!

    Thanks so much for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday! We love having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natasha, thank you for comment and visit. Yes it is so interesting the impact others can really have in our lives. Look forward to loads of fun on TIUT!! :)

      Delete
  6. It is funny, my daughter is a carbon copy of me. I see a lot of me in her.

    I don't know if it is a good thing but she works hard and tries to be the best she can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick!! Welcome to LivinginMommywood :) Thank you for visit and share. It is a wonderful thing that you can say those things about your little lady. Hope you have many years of lots of great moments and maybe you come back and share some :)

      Delete
  7. Very sweet post. I am totally my father's daughter, so I get it. Stopping by to say hello from SITS. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirsten, thanks for visit. My SITS Day was fun indeed:)!

      Delete

I believe in freedom of speech but not at the expense of others. Please don’t confuse that with bashing, use of foul language or total disrespect of others.

Feel free to comment, post, share your own experience and ask questions all in a respectful manner. I welcome debates. Feel free to disagree and express it if you so wish but again always with respect to others. I am sure we can find ways to express our opinions without a shouting match or bullying.

I reserve the right to delete any content left on my blog that I deem not respectful to myself or others. Again we all have freedom of expression but this is my blog. By posting a comment on my blog you grant me the right to use, display, publish, reproduce, transmit and distribute your comment in any manner is see fit in the future i.e. books, video or presentation.

My goal is to host a caring, honest and respectful environment. A place where parents can have an interesting exchange with one another.